This page was last updated on 31 May 2017
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
In 2017, annual dues remain $60 for basic membership to cover the annual construction and maintenance costs (no longer paid by GEWA):
- $60 basic membership ($30 after August 15; $25 for summer interns/students)
- $20 per family member (optional)
- $15 per guest card (optional, limit 1)
- $15 per ball machine privilege and key (optional)
This facility is managed by our elected officials:
- President: Maria Lecha, Maria.C.Lecha@nasa.gov
- Vice-President: Joe Miko, email@example.com
- Treasurer: Andy Negri, ANegri@essic.umd.edu
Other jobs are carried out by volunteers:
- Ladder, grounds, and web: Dennis Chesters, Dennis.Chesters@nasa.gov
- Tournaments: Andy Negri, ANegri@essic.umd.edu
- Hard Courts: Dan Mandl, Daniel.J.Mandl@nasa.gov
The Labor Day Weekend 2016 singles tournament was won by Rahul Mahajan, who defeated Tom Oda in the final 6-4, 1-6, 10-4 (ten-point tie-breaker).
The Goddard Tennis Club (GTC) will host a singles tournament over the Labor Day Holiday weekend, Saturday Sept. 2, and Sunday Sept. 3, with two matches each morning. (Rain date: Monday, Sept. 4). All levels of play are welcome. The GTC tournament is a "Swiss-style" round-robin: winners-play-winners and non-winners-play-non-winners every round, so eventually everybody plays opponents near their own ability. All Goddard and affiliate (badged) employees and their families are welcome to participate. The cost is $5, to cover trophies and refreshments, payable before the start of play at 9 am May 27 at the Goddard courts. Please express your interest in participating by registering IN ADVANCE via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 23. Participation will be limited to the first 20 registrants. Day-of registration cannot be accommodated.
The tournaments are usually open to anyone qualified to play on the GTC courts: members, family members, and guests.
Tournament play counts as a ladder match, unless one of the players explicitly says "no" before the tournament match begins.
At the discretion of the ladder chairman, ladder members playing in and completing the GTC singles tournaments are promoted to the top of the ladder, in the order that they finish in the tournament. Ladder members who receive this promotion are subject to unrestricted challenges for the next 4 weeks.
Tournament registration is on a sheet posted at courtside a few weeks before the tournament, or via phone or e-mail to the tournament director.
The tournament director is responsible for seeding, based on ladder standings and best judgement of skill. Please don't argue with him/her/it.
Andy Negri, UMd/ESSIC, is the tournament director [email@example.com].
Here are Andy's recommendations for running a tournament:
Among the things I bring are: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite Gal OJ 2 gal water with spigot bananas fig newtons pretzels ice ice chests cups towels pencils plexiglass to cover paperwork index cards to do matchups cans new tennis balls for sale plastic tablecloth (nice touch) Attached are the flyer from 2005 Labor Day tourney (WORD) and spreadsheet for ranking the players/recording the matches (EXCEL). This latter should print out on 11 by 17 paper if you select a tabloid-capable printer.
The lessons cover the basic elements of tennis, including strokes (forehand, backhand, serve, volley, and overhead), tactics, strategies, tennis rules, and court etiquette, appropriate at this level.
Instruction Date and Time:
May 9, 2016: 12:00 noon to 1:00 PM, Registration and first lesson
May 11, 16, 18, 23, 25, 30 and June 1, 6, 8, 13, and 15 are on-court lessons, 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm.
Cost: $60 for 12 lessons and includes a basic one-person 2017 tennis club membership.
For more information and the lessons application form, download the Tennis Lesson Application Form 2017.
Please also complete the GTC 2017 membership form .
Refer to the membership form for additional fees for family members and use of the ball machine.
Make checks payable to GODDARD TENNIS CLUB
1. Bring this form (filled out) and a completed membership application on your first day of class with a check or cash for $60. (Be sure to make a copy of the filled form for yourself.)
2. A racquet will be made available to you at no additional cost while taking a lesson or practicing, if you do not have one. These racquets are located in the shed along with the ball machine next to Courts 9 and 10. A key to the shed will be provided, but it must be returned to GTC at the end of the lessons.
3. After registering, you will have access to the courts.
4. Refund policy:
At the end of Week 1 - $50/class will be refunded, if the student decides to drop out. No GTC membership privileges for year 2016.
After the start of Week 2 – no refunds. Continue to have GTC membership privileges for 2016.
5. In case of inclement weather, cancellation announcement will be sent via e-mail by the instructor to all at least 2 hours before the lesson.
6. Make-up classes due to inclement weather will be scheduled by the instructors.
7. Class size is limited for first 10 participants.
The Goddard Tennis Club takes no responsibility for injuries occurring to players whether occurring on the tennis courts or the surrounding property. Use of the tennis facilities is solely at the risk of the player.
For questions, contact George Kallarakal [firstname.lastname@example.org], 301-614-6954.
To get on/off the casual players list, contact email@example.com
You can get a membership application from the bulletin board at courtside, or download the GTC membership application form from this page.
Old GTC news and chat (click to view).
NASA does not endorse any recreational items.
NASA Web Site Privacy, Security, Notices.
Dennis.Chesters@nasa.gov maintains this GEWA Goddard Tennis Club page
... GTC Constitution, 1981 ... GTC Rules, 1981